All images taken from the original Flatspot post
I took a a dive into the new season from Patagonia for a feature assigned by Flatspot which pulled out key pieces from the range and paired them with other leading brands such as Nike SB, Carhartt, New Balance and Amsterdam based skate brand Pop Trading Company. As always I really enjoy taking a closer look into new practices and campaigns developed by Patagonia which for 2020 focuses on regenerative agriculture - the idea of replenishing the soil used to grow fibers for textiles rather than purely taking. Accompanied by a selection of outfit suggestions, you can read the full article here or below!
2020 is the year of the Regenerative Revolution for Patagonia. Known since the brands inception in 1973 as sustainable pioneers, they have made a bold statement with their first collection of this year and announced that ‘sustainability is not enough....we must also add something, give back and do good’. By this, they mean to reclaim land that has been lost, which is no mean feat. However, in true Patagonia style they never shy away from a challenge.
It’s now a given that many of Patagonia’s designs are constructed using recycled polyester, ECONYL and NetPlus which puts post consumer and ocean waste, that may have otherwise been sent to landfill or polluted the earth, to good use. With no compromise on quality or aesthetic for a finish that is difficult to set apart from conventional styles, Patagonia continues to set the mark for how we can produce new products in a conscious way that isn’t detrimental to the environment. Taking this one step further by asking themselves ‘How can we stop climate change with a t-shirt?’, a highlight of SS20 is the introduction of their lowest carbon footprint t-shirts to date. Alongside an array of practical jackets, insulating fleeces, summer shorts and heavy duty accessories.
In harmony with this vision, colour tones and print patterns for this season have been inspired by the Mississippi River Basin, an area at the heartland of America that is currently under threat from high levels of chemical pollution caused by industrial agriculture. With hopes of raising awareness for the rich fauna that resides in the area, illustrations of spoonbills, alligators and bullfrogs have been presented across essential summer styles such as the Baggies Longs Shorts and the Go To Shirt for a refreshed look, whilst a more subtle use of colour is noticeable on waterproof outerwear and casual pullover sweatshirts.
Paired with new season pieces from adidas, Polar Skate Co., Carhartt and Nike SB to name a few, we’ve pulled out our favourite items from Patagonia to help you select the best styles suited to your needs whether you’re planning your travels, staying closer to home or simply want to invest in more consciously made pieces for spring.
1. Offering contemporary takes on timeless pieces, this ensemble focuses on layering which is not only sensible for the season but also lets you wear all of your favourite outerwear styles at once. Using a classic striped tee, the Patagonia Organic Cotton Midweight Pocket T-Shirt, as a base with stonewashed denim from Pop Trading Company, the Patagonia Retro Pile Fleece Jacket has a plush feel against the skin and provides ample warmth with a protective raised collar neck. Elasticated trims help to keep the fit in place and heat retained without being restrictive and the thickness is perfect for wearing below the ever-popular Carhartt Detroit (Summer) Jacket which has a zip through fastening to allow for ventilation. Working well with the light wash finish of the Pop Trading Company DRS Denim Pants, the New Balance Numeric 288S Shoes boast Americana colour tones against clean white uppers within a low cut silhouette.
2. Decorated with an all over illustrative print that incorporates the previously mentioned fauna found in the Mississippi River Basin, the Back Step Shirt presents Patagonia’s own take on a classic resort shirt. Using a soft and lightweight blend of hemp and organic cotton woven with an open weave to encourage airflow, the colour tones are low key to allow for more versatility but have impact nonetheless. Wear fully fastened using the small brown buttons made from coconut for smarter occasions or unbuttoned on top of the white Patagonia Fitz Roy Horizons Responsibili-Tee T-Shirt to suit more casual times. Equally as versatile, the Dickies 873 Slim Straight Work Trousers have been built to stand the test of time using a stain and wrinkle-resistant fabric, and hems that can be rolled to suit when worn with footwear such as the all black Nike SB Janoski Canvas Remastered Shoes. In the transition to spring it’s always good to carry a packable knitted hat with you in case the temperature drops, and for this we’d recommend the Carhartt Stratus Low Beanie.
3. Looking ahead to the much needed warmer months, the Patagonia Baggies Lights Shorts have been revitalized in a selection of bright colourways this season, including marble pink as seen above, which works particularly well with crisp white picks from Levi's® Skate and Converse. Cut to a slim fit with a 6½” inseam, the outer is made from lightweight recycled polyester ripstop with a water repellent finish and a supportive mesh lining has been added inside, making these suitable for wear in and out of the water. If you’re not spending the day at the beach or poolside, to enhance the colour block offerings the Levi's® Skate Pullover Hoodie offers warmth and comfort with ribbed side inserts and a splatter of blue tie dye across the top of the adjustable hood. For old school styling, complete the look with the sport grey Polar Happy Sad Classic Socks and the bright, white on white leather Converse Louie Lopez Pro Ox Shoes.
4. Redesigned to be more comfortable and durable whilst still providing plenty of coverage in unexpected showers, the Patagonia Torrentshell 3L Pullover Jacket is a simple, practical and packable design with a vibrant split colour design that brings a burst of energy to an essential item that is more often than not, pretty mundane. Geared towards all-day comfort and long-lasting waterproof coverage, the shell is constructed from layers of performance materials that stand up to rain and wind without weighing you down. For everyday comfort, we suggest wearing this key style with the Polar Cord Surf Pants which have an adjustable pullcord waist, and the Carhartt Huntington Stripe Long Sleeve T-Shirt which features similar orange and yellow tones within a bold multicoloured stripe decoration. In the way of footwear you can’t go wrong with the core black edition of the adidas Liberty Cup Shoes.
5. With an idea of city exploration, we’ve paired the gravel heather edition of the Patagonia P-6 Label Uprisal Crewneck Sweatshirt with the Carhartt Elmwood Vest and Carhartt Cargo Joggers for an easy-going combination that will stand up to urban life. The perfect weight for layering, the P-6 Label Uprisal Crewneck Sweatshirt is made from a blend of recycled cotton, postconsumer recycled polyester and spandex fleece and features original Patagonia artwork incorporated within a small woven label on the left side of the chest. Equipped with a selection of utilitarian pockets for all of your essentials, the Carhartt Elmwood Vest has a polyester mechanical stretch outer with a water repellent finish whilst the Carhartt Cargo Joggers offer premium comfort and durability within a classic sportswear inspired silhouette. Paired with the 100% recycled Patagonia Ultralight Black Hole Mini Hip Pack and distinctive Nike Air Max 270 React ENG Shoes which are available through our sister store Always in Colour, you’ll be good to go.
As streetwear continues to become progressively more refined and fashion looks to outerwear and hiking apparel for its latest muse, brands such as Patagonia perfectly match the bill without concerning themselves too much on what the trends are saying. Choosing to maintain their focus on craftsmanship and design for longevity, Patagonia sees each season as an opportunity to present their latest developments and achievements to anyone seeking innovation, quality, durability in their everyday clothing.