WHAT’S CAUGHT MY EYE THIS WEEK…?
1. Carhartt’s FW19 Campaign: Shot by Paris-based photographer Maciek Pozoga this seasons campaign features images inspired by seven micro-stories designed to soothe the sense of disappointment we can feel after flicking through though a hefty magazine full of too many ads, and not enough stories.
2. The Silver Surfer: Journal of a 70 Year Old Surfer: Filmed around St Agnes, Cornwall this mini documentary filmed by Mumbo tells the story of 70-year old surfer Andrew Forrest who has documented every one of his surf sessions from 2008-2018. Jon Herbert has compiled a selection of entries the create ‘The Silver Surfer Journal’ which is available to pre-order now thanks to a successful Crowdfunding campaign. This image is a still taken from the documentary filmed in Open Surf, which is a lovely cafe located near the cliffs of St, Agnes opposite Finisterre’s HQ.
3. Jumbo NYC: This super satisfying and intriguing chair design has been created by Jumbo NYC a new design practice founded by friends Justin Donnelly and Monling Lee. Driven by an interest in reductivism and whimsy they describe their designs as ‘technical in execution and joyful in approach’. This chair is made from rubberiszed foam - don’t you just want to touch it?
4. Etnia Barcelona pay tribute to David Bowie: a capsule range of eyewear designed by established Barcelona based Etnia has been released and includes references to some of Bowie’s most memorable looks including the ‘Tokyo Pop’ vinyl bodysuit designed by Kansai Yamamoto and the sunglasses worn in ‘The Man Who Fell To Earth’ (1976).
5. Kvadrat fabrics: Last week I ordered ‘re-wool’ samples from Danish textile company Kvadrat and I was so impressed by their customer service. Having been specialists in textile innovation since 1968 they have a wide selection of designs best suited to upholstery, rugs, blinds and soundproofing walls or ceilings. A bonus is that they are responsible in their manufacturing system and offer a range of textiles that use recycled materials.
6. Patti: This Way: I actually watched this documentary a few weeks back when I wrote a feature about the adidas x Nora Vasconcellos capsule for Flatspot but the natural energy and fun captured during the 9-day road trip stuck with me, so I gave it another watch. Featuring Nora Vasconcellos, Laura Enever and Jaleesa Vincent it’ll definitely ignite some inspiration for 2020 travels and get togethers.
7. Patagonia ReCrafted: Having mentioned the vast amount of product currently being stored in a warehouse in their ‘Recycling Is Broken’ article Patagonia has launched ‘ReCrafted’ which offers garments and accessories made from other pieces of clothing that would otherwise go to landfill due to being beyond repair. Each one is one of a kind and is re-made in Los Angeles using three to six pieces of clothing. The insulated gilets are stand out pieces for me although at a price point of $257 a do-good upcycled garment remains a luxury for most.